Do you truly want to be a professional mediator?
If the answer is yes, your current training path might be to take an introductory course offered by a local court or mediation center. Once you complete the course, you can volunteer at the organization that provided you training and hopefully take some advanced training elsewhere either through mediation conferences or by other trainers. You can receive mentoring from generous practicing mediators or local mediation organizations.
This career path to be a mediator is certainly less structured than if you want to be a therapist (3,000 hours of supervised client contact), a doctor (years of medical school, internship and residency), a lawyer (3 years of law school and bar exam) accountant, minister---frankly, any other profession.
The truth is: Mediation is an independent profession and you are essentially on your own in your training and development.
We have established the Academy because we believe mediators need:
1. Cutting Edge quality basic trainings;
2. Follow-up Mediation Study Groups that enhance the basic course with practice case supervision;
3. Advanced courses with sophisticated curriculum that build on our basic courses;
4. Practice Development trainings that provide concrete strategies to build your own financially viable conflict resolution business.
5. All offerings available on line with interaction and personal career help from our experienced faculty
We have named the Academy for Forrest "Woody" Mosten and Susan E. Guthrie.
Woody has developed and perfected the concepts and trainings over his lifetime career as a mediator, collaborative practitioner and peacemaker. Woody’s body of work is supported by numerous published books and materials that have successfully trained mediators for over 30 years. Woody will not only personally instruct many of our Academy courses but has trained each one of us in his approach and craft.
Woody’s recognized trainings include the following:
1. Mediation to Resolve Disputes;
2. Peacemaking to Prevent and Manage Conflict
3. Collaborative Practice Including Highly Functioning Interdisciplinary Teams
4. Unbundled Professional Services that Create a Partnership Between Clients and Their Professionals to Increase Access and Lower Costs for Clients
5. Developing a Successful and Profitable Practice to provide you and your family with financial security as you help your clients
Susan is an international innovator, practitioner, and trainer in modern online service delivery. Her webinars and podcasts have influenced thousands of professionals worldwide. Susan not only teaches courses for the Academy, but her expertise and commitment to cutting edge online practice and technology is infused into every course offered by the Academy.
We are committed to make the Mosten/Guthrie Academy the gold standard of training in conflict resolution and prevention training. Our courses meet or exceed leading mediation certification programs. We are committed to providing the best instruction, easy to follow materials, visual technology to support your career path at a cost that you can afford.
Most of all, we believe that our society needs more highly trained peacemakers and will do everything within our power to prepare you to fill this need.
Forrest "Woody" Mosten receives the SCMA STAR AWARD, created in his honor, from Susan Guthrie